top of page

An early 20th century Edwardian hand painted escutcheon mounted on an oak shield representing the college coat of arms of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. The shield is stamped on the reverse: Rogers, Oxford - who operated from 51 High Street, Oxford, between 1907 and 1952.

 

English, circa 1910

 

Dimensions
Height: 19.5cm / 7¾"
Width: 15.5cm / 6”

Fitzwilliam college is a constituent college of Cambridge University. The college was founded in 1869 and is named after the Earls of Fitzwilliam, whose ancestral seat Milton Hall is situated to the north of Cambridge. Fitzwilliam is a relatively new college compared with some of the other colleges, it is also one of the larger colleges. The college has a strong sporting reputation for football, rugby and rowing. The college’s sports grounds are located on Oxford Road and the land was donated to the college in honour of the men who were killed during the First World War. In 2007 the college built a new boathouse on the River Cam which is now home to the Fitzwilliam College Boat Club. The college motto is ‘Ex antiquis et novissimis optima’ which translates as ‘The best of old and new.’

An Edwardian Coat of Arms Representing Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge

£350.00Price

1

    bottom of page