top of page

An early 20th century hand painted tole escutcheon representing the college coat of arms of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. 

English, circa 1930


Height: 22cm / 8¾"
Width: 16.5cm / 6½"

Gonville and Caius College is a constituent college of Cambridge University. Founded in 1348 as Gonville Hall by Edmund Gonville, who was a priest from Norfolk and a clerk to King Edward III. By the sixteenth century Gonville Hall had fallen into disrepair and in 1557 it was refounded by Royal Charter as Gonville and Caius by alumnus John Caius. The college is often referred to as Caius and is the fourth oldest college and one of the wealthiest at Cambridge. In 1565 the college was expanded and updated when the building of Caius Court began. The three gates were also built which symbolises the path of academic life, the Gate of Humility, the Gate of Virtue and the Gate of Honour. The buildings at Gonville Court were given classical facades during the mid eighteenth century. The Caius Boat Club proves to be popular with the students, enjoying success on the river and is currently in possession of the May Bumps headship, as well as second place in the Lent Bumps.

A Tole Coat of Arms Representing Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge, c.1930

    bottom of page